Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Happy thoughts.

It becomes more and more apparent that this is a tough year for everyone. The economy sucks and we're all struggling with debt, and more and more people I know have been unemployed for months on end. I still can't help but to think, however, if it's purely coincidence that so many are struggling with health problems, and losing loved ones. Alex has lost 3 family members in the span of 8ish months and that took a toll on so many things. My mom has had to try and cope with the loss of her mother while losing multiple members of the church at the same time. It's quickly becoming clear to me that as we get older, it's easier to understand the meaning of living a full life and having wonderful memories with someone, but it also makes it that much harder when we see them hurting. Before losing my grandmother and being by her side as it happened, I never thought about the part of death where we have to hold back the tears just long enough to let our loved ones know it's okay for them to leave us. We all wanted more time with her, so it was a struggle for us to tell her she could stop being in pain.

It's tough when it happens, and it's something we all have to go through time and again. In times of pain we need to fall to each other, our closest friends and loved ones, for comfort. Grandma spent her life putting her family first and taking care of us during all levels of happiness and hardship. These are the things I've taken from her and will apply to my life as I take care of my family now, and my very own family in the future.

I thought about writing this as I was talking with a good friend earlier. Please keep the Warren family in your thoughts and prayers, or whatever it is that you do. They are wonderful people that always take in a group of 150 marching members and support staff each year as family of their own with no questions asked. They take every opportunity possible to hug and care for us when we're far from the comforts of home, and always send mental hugs when they can't be with us physically. Four years down the road, and though I'm not part of the Cascades organization anymore, I ran into them a few weekends ago and felt like I was part of something again. We're all family and we'll pull together to comfort each other in times of need.

Love, hugs and happy thoughts for the Warren family, and anyone else going through this. It's never easy to think about having to say goodbye, but at least take comfort in knowing you can count on your friends and loved ones for support.

Love to all,

Jess

2 comments:

Tracey Warren said...

Jessika - thanks for your comments. Thoughts and prayers are much appreciated.

Lynda Manstrom said...

This is the year I've learned that life is indeed too short, and felt the pain of time wasted on grudges, petty differences, and getting too caught up in everyday life to reach out to the people who mean something to us.

The earlier this lesson is learned, the better your quality of life will be. I think you're in for a great life.

Love you, sweetie!